Skip to content
Home > General > Lost your Indian passport abroad or in India? Damaged beyond use? Don’t panic!

Lost your Indian passport abroad or in India? Damaged beyond use? Don’t panic!

This guide outlines the steps you need to take to get a replacement Indian passport, depending on your location and situation.

Lost Passport Outside India:

  • Immediate Action: Report the loss to the nearest Indian Embassy or Consulate. They’ll guide you through the process.
  • Urgent Return: If you need to return to India urgently, the Embassy may issue an Emergency Certificate or short-validity passport for travel.
  • Police Report: File a police report and obtain a copy for the Embassy/Consulate.
  • Reissue Application: Apply for a new passport under the “lost” category through VFS Global website.

Damaged Passport Outside India:

  • Minor Damage: If passport details are readable, apply for a reissue under the Tatkaal scheme for expedited processing.
  • Significant Damage: For unrecognizable passports, follow the lost passport procedure mentioned above.

Lost Passport in India:

  • File FIR: Report the loss at the nearest police station and obtain a First Information Report (FIR).
  • Online Application: Apply for a new passport online through the Passport Seva portal.
  • PSK Interview: Attend an interview at the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) for verification and passport issuance.

Important Notes:

  • Duplicate Passports: India doesn’t issue duplicate passports. You’ll receive a new passport with a fresh number.
  • Additional Documents: Check the official website for specific document requirements based on your situation.